About 'Alpha+Good'

Alpha+Good (a bad wordplay on Orwell's "double plus good" and old machismo - I'm the realest after all) is a side project that belongs to 'Onklare taal' ('Unclear' or 'Unripe language'), the umbrella of several literary projects in Dutch.

This section is almost exclusively in English and comprises my ongoing thoughts on progress, gender, politics and various other social themes. Why is this in English why everything else in Dutch? Because I want to gun for a much wider audience here. Also, my literary English isn't good enough, otherwise I would always write in English. In 2020, I released my debut novel 'Fragmentariërs' (it's written in Dutch, though who knows I may one day make an English translation).

Are you a little lost? This link will take you right back to my home page.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Minimal effort #3: Listen

This sounds like a no-brainer and all-round polite advice. In fact, I've listed it before in a more general post of mine. However, it bears repeating. When we - and by we, I mean us men - talk about the plight of women and minorities, a peculiar thing often happens where we hand-wave away any objections from the people we are talking about. This sometimes even happens when everyone has the best intentions at heart.

Listening, actually listening, isn't just good to try and understand what someone else is trying to tell you. As a consequence of not taking the debate or conversation in your own hands, you're giving someone else space to actually express their thoughts and feelings.