About 'Alpha+Good'

Alpha+Good (a bad wordplay on Orwell's "double plus good" and old machismo - I'm the realest after all) is a side project that belongs to 'Onklare taal' ('Unclear' or 'Unripe language'), the umbrella of several literary projects in Dutch.

This section is almost exclusively in English and comprises my ongoing thoughts on progress, gender, politics and various other social themes. Why is this in English why everything else in Dutch? Because I want to gun for a much wider audience here. Also, my literary English isn't good enough, otherwise I would always write in English. In 2020, I released my debut novel 'Fragmentariërs' (it's written in Dutch, though who knows I may one day make an English translation).

Are you a little lost? This link will take you right back to my home page.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

20 people I admire (XVI): Molly Crabapple

Who? Molly Crabapple travels around the world, with a penchant for the Middle-East, making illustrations and graphic art that manage to capture the Zeitgeist of the moment.

Why? I have a huge amount of respect for Crabapple and how she inserts herself into the reality ‘on the ground’, even in difficult societies like Turkey or Lebanon, where both being an artist and a woman is a statement in and of itself. 

What resonates with me? Crabapple’s humanity and humanism always shine through. She is unafraid to speak up for the most downtrodden and oppressed, and does so with a graphical eloquence that I could only hope to match with my own weapons (words).

Best bit? There is so much to choose from, but honestly, if you like supporting an artist with a big heart and a huge amount of talent, buy her book

Next up: Jan Decleir, Belgian actor